Le mercredi 9 septembre 2009 14:42:47, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen a écrit : > On Wednesday 09 September 2009 14:29:21 Kleag wrote: > > Hello, > > > > Le mercredi 9 septembre 2009 13:59:35, Ian Wadham a écrit : > > > On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 6:31:34 am Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote: > > > > Right. It's that time where i tell you all what i've been pondering > > > > on for a while now, so here goes: > > > > > > > > http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/1098-The-Future-of-Game-Developme > > > >nt -i n- KDE.html > > > > > > > > The writeup really says it all, so, go go go! :) > > > > > > Sorry, but that link does not tell me very much at all about Gluon ... > > > > > > :-( > > > > > > Also, I would challenge some of your basic assumptions. > > > > (snip) > > > > > Secondly, as the maintainer of three KDE Games, I don't find the > > > integration of sound and graphics into a game to be much of a > > > problem, compared to writing the game engine, for example. > > > > Concerning the game engine, players handling, network stuff, etc. there > > is also the libkdegames/kgame library which works very well. I'm still > > surprised that no more games use it. Maybe is it because of a lack of > > documentations and examples... KsirK uses it since a very long time with > > no big problems, except during the kde3 to kde4 porting. > > > > What will make gluon better than that ? > > Gluon for now does not have networking subsystems, and this is likely > somewhere libkdegames/kgame could come in. Please, don't think we're trying > to do NIH here - anybody who has something to contribute can do so, and if > we have well established technologies out there that can help out, then so > all the better! :) I see. The networking stuff made it very easy to integrate the connection above Jabber, for example. And does Gluon have players and user input handling ? The kgame one works well, making it very easy to handle AI and real users inputs the same way. > But yes, documentation is problematic - perhaps this is > somewhere else we can all get together and work on it :) Is there any > documentation available for libkdegames (other than the API-docs)? I fear no. I stll have the Martin Heni's example game for KDE3, mykgame (a network enabled Tic Tac Toe). I wanted to port it to KDE4 but never found time to do so. I suppose the better existing documentation would be the book "Open Source Game Development: Qt Games For KDE, PDAs, And Windows" by Martin Heni and Andreas Beckermann, but I did not read it. Also, it is about the kde3 version. Gaël -- KsirK - a world domination strategy game http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer _______________________________________________ kde-games-devel mailing list kde-games-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-games-devel