List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] KDE 4.3 import plans: Vencedor, kggzcore,
From:       Alexander Smirnov <alexander.v.smirnov () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 7:20:29

Josef Spillner wrote:
> A real blocker is still the rather limited KChat(Base) widget we have in
> libkdegames. Our inqiries with the Kopete people to share more advanced chat
> widgets have not really been successful. We could contact other chat client
> developers (e.g. Quassel), or alternatively merge the old KGGZ chat widget
> which has history, nickname autocompletion etc.
Hello Josef,

Additionally to Quassel option I can imagine the following ways:

1. Use chat widgets from libkopete.
I had an email conversation with Matt Rogers (who is a Kopete guy) some
time ago. He assured me that kopete chat widgets are usable for others
via libkopete. I believe you were in CC list. Unfortunately they are not
able to guarantee binary compatibility until kopete is not v1.0. One
more disadvantage is that it is not very nice to have libkopete in
dependency list.

2. Use chat widgets from libkopete-2
Do not wait until kopete reaches v1.0 and just extract required widgets
from their code and put it somewhere in libkdegames. I do understand it
is controversial point and generally it is bad practice to copy/paste
the code, but if it suits us, and it provides us all functions/widgets
we need - then why not? Later, then kopete reaches v1.0 we can get rid
of our temporary solution and use their's stable chat windows.

3. Place a task for GSOC 2009 students to develop own chat widgets or
merge KGGZ's :)

Best regard,
-Alexander