List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] Kdragons Game for Summer of Code
From:       "srikrishna das" <das.srikrishna () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-23 11:05:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

I've been a KDE fan since I started using linux and this year I am trying to
participate in Gsoc.
My contributions to KDE till date have been tiny - designed some logos for
aKademy2008..er Akademy2008.
Being a gaming addict, I wish to write a game for KDE.
This is a very small idea that hit me in the process of helping my friends
(wanna-be linux users) remember desktop applications.
On windows, they remember notepad -> editing, paint -> image editing, tsc ->
remote desktop. But, they seem to forget applications like Kpdf, Krita,
Konsole, vnc, Kate etc.,

So, introducing `kdragons`

*Project:* kdragons

Minimal storyline is to fly from the start point, dodging snowballs and
collecting some points* lying on the clouds.
*The unique feature is that the points konqi/katie collect are icons of
different application on KDE desktop; each points as collected will pop out
text messages in the sky naming the application and very short description.
(for eg: Konsole - a terminal on KDE ).

I guess most users remember names/images/characters from games/movies more
than in software. So this should be of some help.

I will try to design few stages based on similar concept as per the time
constrains for me.

After soc, this game can be extended with ideas like:

1. Simulatenous 2 player gameplay.
2. A villian character at the end of each stage.
3. Adding firebreathing power for konqi and snowflakes power for katie
    (so konqi can melt snowballs, but cannot extinguish the fireballs;
vice-versa for katie - will be fun in 2player scenario)
4. Fight with collected points ( random proprietary application icons are
shooted at the player and they have to shootback with the foss alternative )
5. Adding stages based on applications.
    ( eg: stage name: KOffice and the player just collected an irc icon from
one of the clouds. This should pop up #koffice @ irc.freenode.net )
6. Kombat stage between konqi and katie (something like streetfighter or
mortal kombat)
7. 3D version of the game ( help from people with blender skills, good game
engine knowledge and lots of time to contribute )

And there will be lots of ideas coming in...

*Language:*   I am thinking with python with pygame libs now.
C++ is a long lost habit for me. ( Lecturers gave me weird look for not
writing code to be run on TurboC compiler[windows] ).

I wanted to add this on the ideas page of 2008, so if someone comes up to
work on the same project more features come up soon. But then, I thought
it'd be best to as the mentors/developers/experienced people for some
feedback.

CC'd this to Cornelius, its the only name I see as mentor under KDE Games as
of now.

So, by now everyone reading this knows I talk a lot :)
Expecting feedback, suggestions and some mentors. ( greed for more mentors -
to bug one if the other is not available )

Thanks in advance,

--
Srikrishna Das
(krish at irc.freenode.net)