List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Re: More then 1 KDE games package
From:       Benjamin Meyer <icefox () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2002-01-27 8:12:30

On Saturday 26 January 2002 07:57 pm, Jason Katz-Brown wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > 2) Anything that doesn't fit into #1.  These games have level editors,
> > rules that are longer then a paragraph, themable skins etc.  Maybe they
> > are similar to something found in #1, but allow you to programm the ai in
> > its built in editor.  These games can last longer then 5 minutes (i.e.
> > freeciv would go in here if it was a kde game)
>
> KSpaceDuel is definately a 5 min game, and a short freeciv game too. The
> distinction really isn't very strong.

KSpaceDuel by itself it a short 5 min game time wise, but out of the ~10
people I have access to these past 2 days not 1 was able to remotly win/play
without crashing into the sun.

I am not sure if this is either bad default settings or an attempt at
relistic defaults, but half of the people who tried the game simply quit it
and the other half opened game setup (shouldn't it be the standard kde accel
options?) found the 7 tabs of options and decided that it wasn't worth it and
quit there.  So in the end it only took 5 minutes. :)

So the reason that it goes in #2 is because of 3 things.  1 the game is
highly customizable with many many options.  2 to "win" at the game you must
either spend a bit of time working at learning the ingame physics or spend
time modifing the options again taking time.  Games found in catigory #1 most
all users should be able to "win" the game on the first time.  3 The options
and game rules should be able to be discribed in about a paragraph.

Think of it this way.  A game that your mom (generic mom here) would play
goes in #1, anything else goes in #2.

-Benjamin Meyer