List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Kde-games-devel] libadvkdegames (was qt)
From:       Reinier Post <rp () win ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-01 14:19:09

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 07:41:21PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> > i don't think the proposal was for a kde-only civ clone. i believe what
> > gregor is talking about is a system independent library that implements code
> > common to civ clones - e.g. maps, units, technologies.
>
> All very good, but if such a library is to be adopted by existing game
> projects like freeciv, it can require only dependencies acceptable by all
> projects, which would rule out both Qt and KDE. Please remember that
> freeciv is not a Linux/Unix only game.

Qt is very portable, covering the major platforms; KDE is getting there;
Freeciv is *ridiculously* portable, and it fact most successful in those
small niches where other games are not available or take too many resources,
e.g. it runs on Amiga or a Linux Pentium 90 over a 28k8 modem line.

Neither the Freeciv code nor its user base would survive any serious
steps towards the kind of generality that libkdegames already offers.
So it seems better to use the library as a starting point, implement
Freeciv code/data/ideas on top of it, and aim for a different user base.

> A starting point for such a project would instead be something like eg
> the Kyra sprite library (http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/).

[...]

> Well, there is always xconq (http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/), but yes,
> that could be both fun and useful. As I said, the more the merrier :)

Yes, there are other possible starting points.

> Yours,
> Per
>
> "Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
>  -- John Kenneth Galbraith

(What about IT?)

--
Reinier