On Friday 28 December 2001 18:23, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote: > On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Neil Stevens wrote: > > On Wednesday December 26, 2001 03:15, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote: > > > If you do want to make a QT client port, IMHO you should make it for > > > KDE and dispel any other porting considerations you may have. > > > > Plus there are multiple KDE developers who would be more than happy to > > help. :-) > > Interesting: That's something I was thinking of as well. Maybe this would > be a good idea for freeciv 2. I was looking into kde games development a > little bit. Boson was one of the projects that attracted my attention. It > is a mulitiplayer, client-server archtecture and has maps and units, too. > That fact that it's real-time shouldn't matter too much. The web page was > over a year old, though the KDE news tells me that the developers are > still active... This has two reasons 1. We have some problems with the cronjob that should update from cvs 2. I'm a coder - no webdesigner. > Anyways, since both projects (and possibly much more) have such a broad > base in common, it might be worth developing a library for it (maybe on There is one: KGame. It's in libkdegames and is aimed at all types of games (realtime as well as turn based). Boson now uses it. You can find it in kdegames/libkdegames of the current CVS as well as the KDE 3 (Alpha and Beta) releases. > top of anther one like ACE?) The server part should be independent from > the Qt GUI (that's what the Boson developers wanted as well), the client > can be Qt, I think. I hope the Boson develpers are on this list... I'm afraid this is not possible with KGame, as it is extremely QT based. > The hope is to make development of complex games easier and to get more > people to the common code. Maybe this is also the way to bring back > FreecivAC and the like back to Civ. The best we can hope for, IMHO, is the > get freeciv into standard KDE distributions thus reaching a much broader > audience. If combined with the GGZ (gnu gaming zone), it should make for a > nice replacement for MS gaming zone and the like.... Yes, this would indeed be great. CU Andi _______________________________________________ kde-games-devel mailing list kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-games-devel