List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] project motivation lost! :-(
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-10-01 22:55:23

On Monday 01 October 2001 14:44, Mario Schunda wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm write no good english. Sorry for german write.

Well- as long as our traffic doesn't compete with kde-devel's :)
[He has written a game for about 2.5 years (~ 1 kDay for techies), which runs
under OS/2 but compiles with gcc. Now he switches to Linux and is not sure
whether to kill the project or port it or rewrite it or simply put everything
under the GPL and let others grab it.]

> 1. Ich lasse das Projekt Sterben.
> 2. Ich Versehe alle Dateien mit der GPL und Copyright stelle es ins Netz
> und überlasse es dem Zufall.
> 3. Ich mache einen 08/15 Port nach Linux. ( PM Api austauschen gegen die QT
> Api )
> 4. Ich mache einen 08/15 Port nach Linux stelle alles unter die GPL und (C)
> stelle es ins Netzt usw.
> 5. Ich werde wieder Motiviert weiter zu machen und man macht daraus ein GPL
> Projekt. ( Wo ich dann auch nicht mehr alleine vor mich hin Programmiere
> sondern mit anderen )

1. kill the project - no good idea
2. let it live on its own - might work, but that's no fun for you once it
becomes successful and you're not the maintainer anymore, isn't it?
3. simply API switch - no good idea, as this will lead to unclean code
4. like 2, as people would rewrite some parts anyway
5. That's the very best idea, this is what KDE Games is for - you find other
who help you coding, and if not that then at least testing and motivating.

> So das sind erst mal meine Vorschläge. Was habt Ihr so für Ideen ?

Ask the kde-edu people for a translation wizard :p

Josef

P.S. Eeek, bilingual mails.... but maybe we can meet on #kde.de for a little
talk, just drop me a line - and of course a general kdegames talk on #kde
would be nice too, if you all have time.

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net