List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    [freeqt] Qt GPL'ed (hooray!),  Harmony contributions still welcome
From:       "Adam J. Richter" <adam () yggdrasil ! com>
Date:       2000-09-07 9:26:07

	[This message is intended for the readers of the freeqt mailing
list.  I would appreciate if you would not circulate it too widely
outside of this list.  Thanks. -Adam]

	Wow!  What a day!  Troll released a GPL-compatible Qt, the RSA
algorithm was freed two weeks early and mp3.com is being forced to pay
$25k per CD for copyright infringement.  Now there will be a lot less
copyright and patent infringement that we have to pretend not to see!

	Seriously, though, I would like to thank those of you who have
contributed to Harmony and the 414 signatories of the RustCorp
petition for your powering of the efforts to get a GPL-compatible
implementation of Qt.  The effect of your work in freeing Qt will
probably not be fully publicly acknowledged for a number of years, for
political and business reasons (i.e., let's not detract from Troll's
public relations benefit now that they've done this very good thing).

	Yggdrasil's objective of legalizing KDE distribution through a
GPL-compatible Qt implementation has now been realized.  However, we
plan to continue hosting Harmony development unless somebody else wants
to do so.  The queued patches will be integrated.  Contributors will still
be able to get CVS read and write access, and automated web site and tar
file generation will continue.  We will probably also ship Harmony along
side Qt in a future software product for the benefit of customers who
prefer an LGPL'ed library (albiet an implementation that needs more
development to be of much use), to encourage stability in Troll Tech's
proprietary license pricing, because someone might want to contribute
to Harmony, and because someone might find studying this software
useful in improving Qt.

	In any case, thank you, all of you, for your help in bringing
about a GPL-compatible Qt.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."