List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: FW: [freeqt] GPL vs LGPL
From:       jedi <jedi () penguin ! lvcablemodem ! com>
Date:       1999-03-29 1:45:05

> 		> I investigated the Qt license previously for a commercial
> product, and
> 		> believe me their pricing is anything but horrendous,
> especially
> 		> considering that their aren't any runtime royalties.
>
> 		What pipe are you smoking?  You don't think that paying >
> $1,000 per developer is excessive?
> 		By comparison, if I want to use Microsoft's Windows GUI API,
> it only costs me $0.  If I want to use their MFC, it costs me $99 for a copy
> of VC++.   I get 10 times more with MFC but it costs 10 times less.  I don't
> have to pay royalties.  And this is from Microsoft.
> 		Qt does cost a little less than Visix's Galaxy did, but then
> Visix is out of business now, aren't they?
>
> What pipe are you smoking?  $1,000 per developer isn't hardly anything.

	You can get quite a bit of devtool for that kind of money for
	any other platform. That's where the comparisons are going to
	be drawn just as it's foolish to compare qt or gtk+ against
	Xt. Unix doesn't exist in a vacuum and Troll is going to have

> It's true, you can use Microsoft's GUI API or their MFC for free or per
> developer.  If you want to sell it though it's going to have to look
> professional and you're going to have to shell out a lot more money to make
> it work.  Troll Tech's fees only apply if you are trying to sell a product.
> If you are writing something you plan to give away, you don't have to pay
> them a penny.  Qt isn't going to make money for Troll Tech by selling to
> individuals.  Qt is going to make money for Troll Tech by selling to
> companies that want their Windows product to look professional on a Linux
> platform.  One advantage that Qt is going to have over Harmony in this

	With what? All that's there really is the toolkit.
	The Trolls only have half a product at this point.

[deletia]