List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Harmony Revival
From:       "Adam J. Richter" <adam () yggdrasil ! com>
Date:       1999-03-26 6:23:18

Kevin Nelson writes:
>> >Although the API can't be patented or protected, the output of MOC
>> >certainly could.  To be a drop in replacement, you would need to replicate
>> >MOC's output format.
>>
>> 	But there is an exception to copyright restrictions when
>> there is only a limited (i.e., small, not just finite) number of
>> ways to do something.

>Unfortunately, there is not a limited number of ways to produce a signal
>and slot implementation, [...]

	I meant that there are a limited number of ways to express
the data strcuture to achive binary compatability, which would be
part of the functionality.  In comparison, copying the data
structures that are not externally visibile proably would not be
covered by this exception.

	Again, I am not a lawyer, and you should not rely on
this as legal advice.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."