List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    [freeqt] Disharmony in GNOME & KDE interaction
From:       Christian Schaller <frostking () linuxrising ! com>
Date:       1999-03-17 11:59:38

Hi folks,
This is sort of off-topic, but considering that there are both KDE and
GNOME developers on this list and this list seems like a good place to
discuss things in a less heated fashion than on Slashdot, I venture a
question.
There has been a debate latetly on the Gnome-list concerning object
embeding technology, I bring the following excerpt,

> Miguel has offered to place the Bonobo object embedding stuff in a
> neutral namespace and work with KDE on it, but they don't want to use
it.
> And the people in Gnome who know about these things don't want to use
> KOM/OpenParts because they don't like how it works.

I am not extremely well versed in either one of these methods, but if
some of you could please explain why agreeing on a common standard for
this stuff is so difficult, or in other words why one or the other is
better or worse I am very interested in hearing about it.
In my mind this seems like something just as important as drag' and drop
compatability (which has been resolved), but if I am mistaken and this
is of very little importance I don't mind beeing told.

Sincerely,
Christian Schaller

# Christian Schaller aka frostking
# frostking@linuxrising.com