List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Further Thoughts
From:       Christof Petig <christof.petig () wtal ! de>
Date:       1999-03-15 9:19:29

Matt Gerassimoff wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have been watching this list for some time.  The main problem I see with
> wrappers and not C++ classes is extensibility.  I don't have a problem
> with wrappers.  The problem is that I have to go down to the C level to
> create new widgets.

This is definitely false! You can - and I did - write widgets in C++ for gtk--
(look for gtk--addons in cvs.gnome.org). Though you can't use these widgets
within any other language than C++.

Also though Gtk-- had issues I would recommend a closer look at V1.0. And
perhaps at glade[--].
I decided to use Gtk-- at a time when there was no QPL, and without a good
reason I wouldn't switch back.

If anybody on this list has concrete questions about Gtk--, he/she is welcome
to ask them in private mail.

>   It's the fact that one can easily define
> new ones much quicker and cleaner then any type of wrapper.  So, my
> argument against GTK-- is just that.  The other problem then is even if
> you could define new widgets in GTK--, they couldn't be used in the
> reverse fashion by someone coding in C without yet another wrapper to
> handle that IMHO.

Who cares! (See your next sentence)

>  I don't really care to code GUI's in C.

Christof (author of glade--)