List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Further Thoughts
From:       Carl Thompson <cet () elinux ! net>
Date:       1999-03-09 13:45:43

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Mark wrote:
>
> > So am i to take it that KDE is moving towards GPL libraries? Are they
> > going to change the license on the kdelibs to GPL?
>
> No, the license of kde libraries will not change. KDE wants to allow
> commercial programs (in contrast to RMS) but make shareware crap
> difficult. (in accordance to the oppinion of Linus)
>
> THe combination of QPL qt and LGPL kdelibs reaches this goal.

This reasoning is faulty.  Some lower cost shareware applications are of
much higher quality than expensive commercial applications.  Yes, there are
crappy shareware programs, but there are crappy shrink-wrapped high cost
programs too.  I suspect you are (sub)conciously trying to rationalize
sticking with Qt even if you had an alternative.  I also wonder if you are
misrepresenting something that Linus said-- I can't believe he would
advocate allowing big companies to do business in Linux but not small ones.

You don't seem to understand that even if the KDE developers do not care
about this, the users and community at large do.  That's why there is a
GNOME project.  The absolute best that KDE can hope for the future is equal
footing with GNOME, but the only way that will happen is if the KDE
developers switch to a an LGPLed library or persuade TT to make QT LGPL.

The momentum _has_ shifted to GNOME and is _still_  shifting.  Unless the
KDE developers do something now, there won't be an active KDE project in a
year or two.  For example, I myself have used KDE since before 1.0 and I
actually do like it quite a bit, but all my Linux machines at home and the
Linux machines I administer at work are running GNOME now (thanks to Sergey
Panov helping me out with some things).  I don't think KDE will survive off
of Caldera and SuSE alone.

If you don't believe this, fine.  I myself am not going to do any work to
finish Harmony to save KDE if the KDE developers can't appreciate or
acknowledge what we are trying to do.  At this point, I am tired of caring.
GNOME is here and it is good.  Good luck living on the island.

Carl Thompson (new GNOME user)