List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Licensing problem with the QPL and more
From:       Carl Thompson <cet () elinux ! net>
Date:       1998-11-27 17:32:05

Jo Dillon wrote:

> Nice to see the president of Trolltech on our mailing list :) I, for one,
> am fully prepared to trust you.

     I would trust you too, If you could address my concerns about the
control TT would exert over Linux commercial development should KDE/QT
become the standard.  Even just your promise that Troll Tech will do the
right thing in this respect would go a long way.  What are your intentions?
Many of the developers on this list are afraid that you would hit them with
a lawsuit if they complete a toolkit that uses QT's API.  Is that true?
Isn't there some way that you could release QT for Linux under a license
that we are more comfortable with and still make a profit?  Particularly,
Could Linux be a special case for you?  No other needed library on Linux
requires commercial developers to pay anyone to use them, so I am
uncomfortable with the precedent that this would create if QT becomes
standard.

     It was pointed out to me by someone yesterday (his initials are L.T.)
that I haven't at all acknowledged the good things that your company HAS
done; I've been too much worried about the bad things you MIGHT do.  After
thinking about it, I am deeply ashamed to realize that this is true and I
must apologize to you, your company and the other developers whom I have
offended with my attitude.  You have helped make possible a desktop
environment that I myself and millions of others productively use.
Releasing QT under a freer license DOES help the Open Source community
somewhat (as well as TT).  It is a very nice thing you have done to allow
free non-commercial use of your product.  It is an good faith investment
that can only reward you in the long run.

     I do believe I have made some valid points.  It is only the methods and
words with which I have attempted to persuade people that are questionable.
I still believe that the QPL is not yet good enough and thus that the
Harmony project is still necessary to continue the freedom that users and
developers have come to expect from the Linux platform.

     Again, I must offer my apologies to everyone, but especially to the
developers at Troll Tech.

Sincerely,
Carl Thompson