List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Future of Harmony
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1998-11-23 10:07:22

> > > I'm not sure how I'm supposed to remember what you "know," but your
> > > premise is flawed: there was much discussion as to whether Harmony
> > > should be GPL or LGPL, and much of that debate concerned whether closed
> > > source software vendors should be able to use Harmony.  IIRC, the
> > > working position was that Harmony should be LGPL, *not* restricted to
> > > Open Source or GNU/FSF use only.

These are two different things: putting Harmony under the GPL would not
have
meant restricting it to Open Source, but restricting it to GPL only. I
don't
like library licenses which restrict me which precise license I have to
use
for my own application (as a whole). This is IMO a flaw in the GPL and a
major
reason why in recent months several licenses have been invented (NPL,
MozPL,
AbiPL come to mind). The QPL allows applications to be distributed under
number of licenses, like X11, BSD, GPL, Artistic. I'm not sure whether
it allows
also NPL, but somewhere I'm open for comprises. What for me is an
important
point in the QPL is that is allows linking with _any_ other code legally
developed. For example, I can link with any code that does not depend on
Qt.

The other point is 'use by proprietary applications'. To not allow this
would
have meant that KDE would have never used Harmony, because they wanted
explicitely encourage commercial developers to write for KDE. This
consequence
would have been that either Harmony becomes a stillbirth - used by noone
-
or the reason for a split inside KDE - neither neither being a nice
vision.

Of course, this is all my personal opinion, so there is no need to