List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Qt not truly Free Software yet...
From:       "Adam J. Richter" <adam () yggdrasil ! com>
Date:       1998-11-20 19:37:38

Jo Dillon writes:
>Hmm. Well, it's not allowed to put GPL code in anything not GPL (including
>other free software licenses such as BSD).

        False.

        You can comingle GPL'ed code with code covered by any copying
conditions that are never more restrictive than the GPL (including not
prohibitting adding the GPL's restrictions).  In the example you refer
to, there was some debate a while ago about whether the original BSD
copying conditions' prohibition on advertising constituted an additional
restriction (for obscure legal reasons, I believe that they did not),
so FreeBSD dropped that requirement on new code so that their (non-GPL)
copying conditions to eliminate any question about the GPL compatibility of
at least the new code.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."