List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Future of Harmony
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-11-20 10:05:55

Carl Thompson (carlt@elinux.net) spake thusly:

> If TT's announcemment succeeds in killing of the Harmony and GNOME projects,
> whose to say that they won't dramatically raise the price of licensing QT
> for commercial applications after Linux becomes mainstream?  Having a free
> competitor will keep them honest.  If KDE becomes the desktop standard for
> Linux then commercial applications will probably need to be written as KDE
> applications.  I think it goes against what Linux stands for if a developer
> is required to pay TT in order to develop commercially for Linux.  With an
> LGPLed Harmony, all Linux development would be truly free.

  Well, I suspect that gtk/gnome will become compatible with KDE
(KDE window hints, Qt-style gtk themes and so forth). I should imagine
that it won't be long before one can develop KDE-compatible applications
in gtk. If that doesn't happen I'll make it happen myself.

> Just remember that if KDE becomes the standard Linux desktop, without
> Harmony we are giving TT a monopoly on a required library for commercial
> Linux development.  It would really suck if we allowed one company to
> dictate the future of all future commercial Linux applications...

  Of course. But that won't happen.

> Please keep developing Harmony!

  If Trolltech really started screwing developers then those same developers
would consider it cheaper to bring Harmony out of retirement and fund it
themselves. The threat of Harmony should be enough to keep them honest.

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de