List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Namespace woes
From:       Christian Boos <boos () arthur ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       1998-10-27 16:31:36

Bernd Gehrmann writes:
 > Christian Boos wrote:
 >
 > > I expect that Harmony will be a ISO-C++ conformant library when it
 > > ships :)

 >  I also don't see the why namespaces are a must-have.

Harmony:: is a nice replacement for the prefix harmony_ used all over
the place for internals, because this prefix can be "forgotten" as if
it were not there, but in case of a name clash, it can be used.

Also, my first version of motif.cc, next.cc etc. used namespace Motif,
NeXT, ... to avoid the motif_, next_, prefixes for the same reasons.

This simplifies cut & paste operations :)

Another use of the namespace that I would defend is to embed our
external interface (the Qt compatible one), in a namespace 'Qt'.
This would allow to mix this library with other libraries which also
use the Q... prefix.

-- Christian