List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Harmony and RH5.1
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-10-19 13:03:01

Christian Boos (boos@arthur.u-strasbg.fr) spake thusly:
> Stephan Kulow writes:
>  > Christian Boos wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Quick question
>  > >
>  > > What's the rationale behind HARMONY_STD ?
>  > It's the name space harmony:: if namespaces
>  > are supported and nothing if not.
>
> Ehm, no.
> It's actually defined like this in hconfig.h:
>
> #ifdef HARMONY_USE_NAMESPACES
> #define HARMONY_STD std::
> #else
> #define HARMONY_STD /**/
> #endif
>

> My question was 'how does this make sense at all?"
>
> 1) the compiler support namespaces: then all the containers get prefixed by
>    "std::", which is useless because the standard includes
>     (e.g. <list>) does a    "use namespace std", or equivalent.
>     So the std:: prefix is useless in this case.

  Is that guaranteed to be true?

> 2) the compiler doesn't support namespace: the std:: prefix is not
>    used.
>
> So my point was: let's remove this HARMONY_STD ...
>
> But, btw we need a REAL Harmony namespace, of course!
>
> Jo said that g++ (2.8.1) doesn't currently support namespaces.
> But egcs-1.1 currently does. My opinion is that we should follow the C++
> Standard as much as possible, because all compiler sooner or later
> (maybe even g++ !) will be conformant one day. Since we already have
> one tool for that (egcs), just use that now.

  I didn't say that, actually. I just didn't know. I think that 2.8.1 at
least thinks it suports namespaces because I can see a
#define HARMONY_USE_NAMESPACES so a Harmony namespace might be a good idea.
What about your compiler, Olivier?

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de