List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-06-21 10:31:47

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM Harald Sitter <sitter@kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 11:23 PM Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On 2023-06-20, David Redondo <kde@david-redondo.de> wrote:
> > > Harald and I prototyped another solution to build a Qt
> > >  5 and Qt 6 version out of the same repo and employed it on
> > > plasma-integration:
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-integration/-/
> > > merge_requests/91
> >
> > Did I miss something or is this just branching but without having git to
> > help us move stuff between versions?
>
> Yes but no. If we have two branches we also need two tars and everyone
> needs to do two things. If we have everything in the same branch then
> everything is as usual. Also, the sources are so divergent that
> picking is bound to be annoying.

It sounds like we are approaching (or have already hit) a "crossroads"
where it is time for the Qt 5 codebase to enter a stable release only
phase, with master becoming Qt 6 exclusive.
Splitting the code into separate Qt 5 / Qt 6 folders sounds like it will be
difficult to ensure that all bug fixes are applied equally to both sides.

> HS

Cheers,
Ben