List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2023-05-21 18:10:41

On 2023-05-16, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> applications we need to:
>
> Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.
>
> a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
> b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
> c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> distributions to still install it

(wearing a quite stale debian hat)

If you go with c), please make sure that the "base" of the tarball
called something different. Not just version wise, but also the base
part of it.

I think most distributions can't handle having two tarballs with same
"name" but different versions.

I think if I got offered b), I'd implement a) myself by creating an
extra copy.

I guess c) ensures no more bugfixes to the kf5 version.

I think I lean towards a).

/Sune