List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    KDE review for KWeatherCore
From:       hanyoung <hanyoung () protonmail ! com>
Date:       2020-12-21 6:16:09

KWeatherCore: https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kweathercore is a library fo=
r querying weather forecast data.
During the development of KWeather, we found the need to have a weather lib=
rary.
KWeatherCore is the result of extracting weather data fetching code from KW=
eather.
I think having a dedicated weather library can serve the following propose:
- simplify the KWeather code
- easier to develop a weather daemon
- potentially less code duplication across KDE

Many of you may have already seen my previous email to kde-devel mailing li=
st.
Thank you for your constructive suggestions. Here are something I want to c=
larify:

> I would also propose to consider doing a demon instead, so different
> programs/processes all interested in weather forecast data could share th=
> data
  The end goal is a daemon indeed, but we want to build the daemon upon the=
 library. This would give us flexibility
 in the future if we don't want a daemon. At least KWeather and other proje=
cts can still benefit from the code.

> but we want to make sure we don't end up with two things.
  I admit there are some overlapped functionalities. But KWeatherCore isn't=
 designed as a weather data provider as Weather DataEngine.
  Instead, it's trying to be the building block of weather related applicat=
ions. KWeatherCore saves you the hassle of
  dealing with APIs, getting locations and converting timezone. You can bui=
ld a daemon with it, or you can
  use it in your applications. For example, KItinerary and KWeather use the=
 same weather API, but don't share code.
  That means two code base to maintain. Regarding the dynamic nature of onl=
ine APIs, it's better to have one library,
  so other applications don't need to be worried about their APIs being dep=
raved, and they aren't able to update it in time.

  Though not currently implemented, KWeatherCore does intend to have weathe=
r alerts added. We hope it can be done in this Sok
  https://community.kde.org/SoK/Ideas/2021#KWeather
  With this bit added, then the work on weather daemon can be started.

Regards,
Han Young