List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: "Buttons have icons", round N+1
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-12-13 16:57:04

On Sunday December 13 2015 17:14:17 Thomas Lübking wrote:

> I object the overhead concern. The global solution is easily applied by the style \
> (the icon isn't loaded from disk or rendered until you/the style requires a pixmap \
> from painting - until then there's just a string that hints which icon to use)

Maybe, but the style will have to query the hint every time, whereas querying the \
style before (not) adding the icon is an overhead that happens only when a button is \
created. Whether that's a measurable overhead is another thing, of course.

> So this is as well orthogonal to the general Pushbutton icon/ShowIconsOnPushButtons \
> question (but simply a bug that needs to be fixed)

Not exactly orthogonal according how I understand the definition of that term. You \
claimed that ShowIconsOnPushButtons is supposed to apply to all buttons (and that's \
the interpretation I'd prefer). In that case, it should override Qt's \
SH_DialogButtonBox_ButtonsHaveIcons when that variable is true. Otherwise you end up \
in a situation where a style can override ShowIconsOnPushButtons (which is the \
"interface" users have to toggle icons in buttons).

Actually, I think a KDE style can query KDE's own ShowIconsOnPushButtons, and skip \
drawing icons an all buttons when that setting is off. That's the idea behind the \
setting, after all -- and given how the setting is exposed (in systemsettings), that \
is definitely the interpretation users will give it.

> It might seem reasonable to query the parent widget of the button in KGuiItem to \
> catch a variety of occasions at once (though this doesn't guarantee anything, \
> parent and style would have to be tracked to make this "perfect" or QPushButton \
> would check its parent widget on painting and conditionally omit the icon when it's \
> a buttonbox and the style doesn't want icons there)

I don't follow this. If respecting the hint (or hints) via KGuiItem is reasonable, \
let's begin by drawing up a list of all situations where a KGuiItem should NOT omit \
the icon despite either of the related hints being false.

I continue to think that there is nothing inherently wrong with KDE giving a broader \
application to a Qt parameter for KDE purposes, as long as it's documented somewhere.

You'll also have to consider the fact (IMHO) that every now and then someone will \
create something that is essentially a QDialogButtonBox but that doesn't use that \
class. Sure, just blindly applying the rules you can reject any bug reports about how \
those buttons fail to respect user choice in the matter as "works as \
intended/expected". And that's where ShowIconsOnPushButtons comes in again...

In short, is there any reason why KDE would use the \
SH_DialogButtonBox_ButtonsHaveIcons hint, if that hint reflects ShowIconsOnButtons?

R.