List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do with autostart scripts? (kinit / ksmserver problem)
From:       "Elias Probst" <mail () eliasprobst ! eu>
Date:       2014-09-02 23:09:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 08/19/2014 09:48 PM, David Faure wrote:
>> What do the gurus say on this?
> I'd pick option 1 - do it all in ksmserver.

I'd vote against this and vote for:
- only *.desktop files

The reason:
in the long term, we're going to add support for systemd user-sessions.
This will bring a huge cleanup effort for a lot of Plasma Workspace
components which currently spawn subprocesses/modules, where one of the
final goals is to have every singly spawned subprocess to be a transient
systemd user-session unit.

When using *.desktop files, this would be far easier to handle as they
can be translated relatively straightforward into a transient unit,
while doing it "all in ksmserver" would just mean, that we'd have to
revert this at a later point again to implement transient units.

- Elias