List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: Splitting kde-workspace and kde-runtime proposal
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-01-21 12:04:22

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:03:57 Bhushan Shah wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM, =C0lex Fiestas <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:
> > In the plasma sprint we have done a session to plan what we are going to
> > do
> > with kde-workspace/kde-runtime repositories, here is the proposal we ca=
me
> > with.
> > =

> > We are going to create 2 new repos called plasma-desktop and
> > plasma-workspace, we decided to use plasma as a prefix so in the future
> > we can have more workspaces and desktops without being in the awkward
> > situation of having one wrongly labeled as "KDE" while others are not
> > (thinking on for example having Razorqt/lxde as part of KDE in the
> > future). Current kde-workspace and kde- runtime will be kept for history
> > reasons.
> =

> I want to suggest something different,
> =

> 1) Create two different groups named plasma-workspace and
> plasma-desktop like frameworks

How is this granularity useful? To me, it sounds like way too much, too har=
d =

to move code around within the same domain, for example. We don't want to =

flood people with hundreds of repositories.

The generic workspace vs. specific formfactor split is well in line with ho=
w =

we see people deploying Plasma, you install the framework, the generic =

workspace, and then a package for a specific formfactor.

Cheers,
-- =

sebas