List:       kde-finance-apps
Subject:    Re: GSoc GDB pretty printers: Automatic testing and printing class pointers
From:       Thomas Baumgart <thb () net-bembel ! de>
Date:       2021-06-29 15:41:28

On Samstag, 26. Juni 2021 17:35:59 CEST Thomas Baumgart wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 17. Juni 2021 17:28:24 CEST Da Viper wrote:
>
> > Hello there,
> >
> > This is a continuation of the chat from the telegram group
> >
> > - Manual Test
> > The way i perform manual test is that, I create a cpp file then instantiate
> > the class with all possible constructors and input the set a break point at
> > the bottom to compare all the output  to the given input
> > i am not sure of a way to make this automatic as it would be easier to know
> > when new changes affect existing code instead of performing all the test
> > for the hundred of classes
>
> I am not sure if I understand the above so that I am able to duplicate it.
> Also, where do you have your code available for duplication?
>
> > - Printing Classes instantiated as pointer
> > for example if we have a qstring created like this
> >
> > `QString qsst("this is another string");`
> >  `QString *thePtr = &qsst;`
> >
> > if i am to create a printer for qstring it does not apply the printer for
> > the variable `thePtr`
> > i am not sure how to fix the problem ( however the same also happens for
> > `std::string` but it is also included the value later)
>
> Having access to your printers may certainly help us to make suggestions.
> Otherwise, this is somewhat shooting in the dark.

Now that I have access, I could try to duplicate this. To me this look like
it is working:

7          QString qsst("this is another string");
(gdb) n
8          QString *thePtr = &qsst;
(gdb) p qsst
$1 = "this is another string"
(gdb) n
10         QString str("firstString");
(gdb) p thePtr
$2 = (QString *) 0x7fffffffd658
(gdb) p *thePtr
$3 = "this is another string"

Does that make sense?

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

There are two rules for success in life:
Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.