List:       kde-finance-apps
Subject:    Re: GSoC '21 KMyMoney : I am stuck.
From:       Thomas Baumgart <thb () net-bembel ! de>
Date:       2021-06-23 5:41:24

Suraj,

On Dienstag, 22. Juni 2021 21:45:59 CEST Suraj Kumar Mahto wrote:

> > Look at the local variables. What is the value of 'this'? Does that make
> sense?
> > It chokes inside the method AlkOnlineQuotesProfile::type() which gets
> called
> > from AlkOnlineQuoteSource ctor in line 230. Which object is pointed to
> when
> > calling type()? Which value does this pointer have? Where is it
> initialized?
>
> After days of bug hunting, I couldn't figure out that. The following things
> I did for the same.
> - I stepped in through functions in debugging and checked the stack.
> - Tried to study the QMap related function defaultQuoteSources() and
> checked its usage.
> - While experimenting with the alkimia lib I found that after executing the
> onlinequoteseditor5 binary separately(in build/bin/) the widget works fine
> and there is no crash while interacting with the UI like buttons and fields
> as opposed to what I saw in the kmymoney.

Yes, the problem is, that the profile argument to the AlkOnlineQuoteSource
ctor is a nullptr. This is then used and the crash happens. The cause to
this is, that in AlkOnlineQuotesWidget::Private::slotNewEntry() the
m_profile member is not initialized (nullptr). An assignment happens in
AlkOnlineQuotesWidget::Private::loadProfiles() and
AlkOnlineQuotesWidget::Private::slotLoadProfile() but the list of profiles
in your case seems to be empty, and thus no profile is assigned.

See MainWindow::MainWindow in onlinequoteseditor.cpp which is part of alkimia
how to load an initial profile which you should do if the list is empty.

> Please direct me what thing I missed. Thanks.
> Sorry for the delay in the blog post. I planned for week 1-2 blog by Monday
> only. I thought that I will post that after solving this bug.

OK.

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

'Knowing a computer language is neither a necessary nor a sufficient
condition to know how to construct a computer program' -- J.R. Tyrer