List:       kde-faq
Subject:    [Kde-faq] Sound in non-KDE programs
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       2001-02-08 15:18:47

Hi,

Some time ago I wanted to know how I could make my licq
play sounds using the KDE system (I also have a CD or mp3
player playing all the time).
By default, licq uses the 'play' command (not available on
every system, so I don't know if it would work).
After some time I found a command artsplay which does
exactly what I need - play a wav nicely mixed with the
rest of the sounds.

I think it could be nice to share this knowledge with other
people who might some day have the same problem.

Catagory would be: KDE with non-KDE applications

Q: My program needs an external program to play WAV
   files. How do I make integrate with the KDE sound system?

A: KDE comes with a utility 'artsplay', which can play
   a wav file concurrently with for instance the KDE
   media player.
   Tell your application to use 'artsplay' in stead of
   'play' or some other command and the sounds will
   integrate beautifully with the KDE sound system.

(This is, of course, a suggestion).
I don't know if artsplay can play other formats, and I haven't
found too much docs about arts in general on my kde 2.01
installation. Maybe a link to those docs, if they exist,
could also clarify the KDE sound policy a bit.

Regards,
Leon