List:       kde-enterprise
Subject:    Re: 'Possible' Review and Interview of OpenMFG
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabricemous () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-06 22:12:03

On Monday 05 July 2004 01:15, Segedunum wrote:
|  Sorry for cross-posting, but I thought it appropriate for this to get on
| to KDE Enterprize as well (sorry for the Z - I'm old fashioned). Note, I'm
| not committing to this yet, and it may take weeks or months, but it is
| something I'd like to do.

I welcome your message to this list :)

[...]
|  Well, I'm very interested in companies like OpenMFG (not just because it
| is Qt-based and they have Tux on their home page) for several reasons.
|
|  The first is that they are using the concept of an 'open source' community
| to lower costs and allow people to customize in a bigger way than any 100%
| rigid proprietary solution ever could (this is just one of the reasons for
| huge ERP failures in the 90s). No it isn't free (look at it - it is an
|  ERP/MRP/Enterprize solution for goodeness sake!) nor could it ever
| possibly be, but it just shows what is actually going on in the world today
| and how people are thinking. This is a workable business model. There is,
| potentially, incredible demand from the businesses they are targetting, and
| KDE and Linux could accelerate that demand in a very mutual way. It's the
| way forward.

I think the dual licensing of Qt is rather benificial for KDE as well. Also
Iike to think of KDE as a desktop which is friendly towards many technologies
whatever toolkit it uses.

|  But, the biggest reason is that beyond the hype of Linux on the desktop,
| lower costs, usability and the 'inevitability' of it all, people are going
| to ask "Well, what are people actually doing with it? What can I run on
| it?" Of course, that is a vicious circle, which is why small steps and
| people actually doing things such as this is so important. People like to
| hype several thousand seat deployments like Largo and Extremadura, but the
| three, seven and ten desktop deployments you see on Enterprize KDE are so
| important. Why? Because people are using KDE to get stuff done - that's the
| essential truth - and it's a pretty incredible realization.

awareness :)

|  So yes, I want to see if I can do some sort of review of OpenMFG, the
| software and, most importantly, the business model they have. An interview
| would be nice, which may happen because I think I'd have to speak with them
| in some way anyway. I'll also try and get someone in who knows more about
| enterprize ERP/MRP systems than I ever could.

Also try to convince to submit an entry on www.kde-apps.org. I did email them
but it wouldn't hurt to ask again.

|  I'll try and 'tentatively' see what time I can set aside over the few
| weeks, and see what I can do. This will be a major review and/or interview
| as it's a bit more than just an application, and won't happen overnight,
| but it'll be worth it.

I'm looking forward to it. Please note we have more ERP-solutions for KDE
(check kde-apps.org)

[...]
|  PS. Also, I'm terribly selfish, and I'd like to see some proper
| screenshots of OpenMFG's software running within a KDE environment if
| possible! They only have Windows there at the moment and one or two poor

Well we all love screenies. So please do so :)

Ciao'

Fab

--
www.kde.nl | fabrice@kde.nl | www.kde.org