List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Cantor] Python back-end interpreter path
From:       Alexander Semke <alexander.semke () web ! de>
Date:       2021-08-13 18:20:32

On Freitag, 13. August 2021 16:33:11 CEST Marcello Massaro wrote:
> If I open a clean Cantor worksheet, with "Python" set as default
> backend, the output of sys.version is 3.8.10. I assume Cantor simply
> resolves/uses /usr/bin/python3 then.
Cantor loads python's version specific shared library, for example
libpython3.6m.so.1.0, embedds with this the interpreter directly and doesn=
't
talk to the executable 'python' which is also kind of a frontend for this
shared library. So, Cantor is using the version it was linked against. If =
you
installed Cantor from the repository of your distribution, it's using the
"system" version of python that was used during the compile and link steps=
.
The same situation we also have for R and for Julia.

Right now, the only option to make Cantor using a different version of R/
python/julia is to re-compile it using that version. If we want to be able=
specify the interpreter at runtime we'll need to change the logic in Canto=
for these languages and to talk to their "executables" like we do this alr=
eady
for Maxima, Octave, Scilab, etc. This is a somewhat bigger refactoring...

=2D-
Alexander