List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: Aw: Re: LabPlot - Cannot print or export
From:       Bill Gee <bgee () campercaver ! net>
Date:       2021-01-06 13:05:43

Hi Stefan -

I always always always test new stuff on a virtual machine before letting it onto my \
main systems.  If it blows up, I can revert to a snapshot.  On a real computer, if it \
blows up I often have to rebuild from the metal.  It is a risk not worth taking, and \
a problem that has bitten me many times.  It is a lesson I learned the hard way.

The main issued I found with the flatpak for LabPlot is that it does not save files \
where I expect it to.  I specified "/home/bgee/Documents" as the directory.  LabPlot \
reports success.  If I save the file again, LabPlot reports that the file is already \
there.  However, I cannot see the file with any other program!  Bash, Krusader, \
Dolphin ...  None of them see the files I saved out of LabPlot.  In my mind that is \
reason enough to not use the flatpak.

There may also be problems with themes, icons, fonts etc.  I did not test for that.  \
The Z-order problem with file-open and file-save dialogs is very annoying but not \
quite a show stopper.

As a general philosophy, I still think that flatpaks, snaps and containers are \
imperfect solutions for which no problem exists.  Let's assume, for example, that I \
choose to run EVERY application I use as a flatpak.  That means Firefox, LibreOffice, \
KMail, KOrganizer, KeePassXC, Audacity et.al.  Each of them brings in and launches a \
complete version of KDE.  None of them is running in the same sandbox, so they cannot \
see each other and use each other's services.  If, for example, I click on a KMail \
attachment to open it, does Gwenview open in the same sandbox as KMail?  If I click \
on an image in Firefox, does it open the same Gwenview instance as the one that KMail \
launched?  If I click on an email address in Firefox, does that launch a new instance \
of KMail or does it use the sandbox that is already running?

KeePassXC connects into Firefox to provide password filling.  If they are running in \
separate sandboxes, then how are they to talk to each other?  If I make a settings \
change in the KDE System Settings application, how does that get inside all the \
different KDE sandboxes?

And if all those applications DO run in the same sandbox, then what's the gain?  Why \
not run them in the real environment and save a huge amount of both memory and drive \
space?

I understand the problems with "DLL Hell", or its equivalent in Linux.  I made a good \
living for many years doing Windows tech support.  I think that flatpaks, snaps and \
containers are an interesting attempt to solve that problem.  However, the only \
result has been to change the appearance.  It is not gone - it just looks different.

I am - and remain - a committed contrary curmudgeon!  :-)  I think the real answer is \
to find a Fedora packager and ask them to create a repository package for LabPlot \
2.8.1.

Thanks, and regards -

--
Bill Gee