List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: Sonification of KmPlot?
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-05-11 1:32:06

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:28 AM Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 28, 2019, at 18:00, Aleix Pol <aleixpol@kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > What kind of use cases do you have in mind?
>
> I'm not really sure about use cases; I'm mostly just investigating
> possibilities at this point.  I think it would be useful for blind
> students to be able to explore functions interactively, using sound
> rather then sight.  However, I'm extremely vague on the details.
>
> > And formats?
>
> A blind friend of mine says that mathematical notation was a problem
> for her in school.  LaTeX is text-based, and she was able to use that
> with some success.  It appears that KAlgebra also uses text-based
> (code-like) notation, which could work well with a braille display.
>
> As far as output formats go, my preference would be to use something
> structured (and thus, extensible and somewhat self-documenting) and
> widely accepted.  So, maybe JSON?  Note that most end users would not
> interact with this format directly; rather, it would be used to drive
> some sort of exploratory sonification front end.
>
> > We could look into implementing something along the lines with
> > KAlgebra, but I wouldn't know where to begin.
>
> Frankly, neither do I, but I've printed out the KALgebra manual:
>
>   https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdeedu/kalgebra/kalgebra.pdf
>
> I plan to peruse it and will get back to you with any notions
> that seem worth discussing.
>
> -r
>
> P.S.  The manual contains assorted notation and diagrams that are not
> blind-accessible.  Might it be available in a text-based format (e.g.,
> HTML, LaTeX, Markdown)?

Hi,
I finally found some time to put together a proof of concept.
https://commits.kde.org/analitza/465521f73ff60f9f49e256ba2b9feb2b80917a72

You can play around with it if you like. This generates a plot.wav
file with the plot. I'll attach 1/x and sin(x) in case you're curious
but can't try it out.
A lot of tweaking could be done there, I'm by no means knowledgeable
about audio.

It can be called just by passing the expression to plot as an
argument, e.g.: ./analitzaplot/examples/audioplots "sin x"

Aleix

["plot.wav" (audio/wav)]