List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about Parley and KWordQuiz
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-10-28 17:12:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Peter Hedlund <peter@peterandlinda.com>wro=
te:

> Hello,
>
> I completely agree with what has been said here.
>
> There has not been much work on KWQ recently for two reasons; it is in my
> opinion more or less feature complete and stable, and due to other
> interests and obligations I have had very little time to devote to it.
>
> I am open to any suggestions or decisions regarding the future of these
> programs the larger edu team find appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> On Oct 27, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Frederik Gladhorn <frederik@gladhorn.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 26. October 2013 18.15.53 Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> > > Hi, today at the Edu sprint we came up with the question about
> > > what the long-term plan for vocabulary training applications in KDE
> > > Edu should be. As far as we know, currently we have KWordQuiz
> > > and Parley, which solve very similar needs (at least from our high
> > > level view). So it would be great, if you could help us understand
> > > better why we have two different applications (which allows better
> > > advertisement of their specific qualities) or whether it could be a
> > > goal to switch to only one application in the future...
> > >
> > > From the people currently here in La Coru=C3=B1a, unfortunatley
> > > nobody can remember the specific arguments what lead to having
> > > two applications. So it would be great if you could help us
> > > remember :)
> >
> > Hi, I hope you're having a great sprint!
> >
> > From my point of view there was simply the argument that Parley's UI is
> targeted at more advanced self learners and KWQ aims to be nice and simpl=
e.

> > I agree that the question is valid and that it is not very sensible
> resource wise, as I consider at least Parley unmaintained and I guess KWQ
> is not faring much better. For Parley the aim was to get a nice welcome
> screen (it's partially there) so that you don't see the editor first but
> can start practicing right away. But there are still many low hanging
> fruits (polish the UI, conjugations, ...).
> >
> > (I will not manage to spend time on Parley any time soon because I have
> too many other things going on, when I have time left over I try to work =
on
> making accessibility in KDE work sensibly, so I'll not get active with
> Parley again)
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Frederik
> >

> > > Greetings,
> > > Andreas

Hi guys,
We've been working this morning trying to apply the Language Applications
personas to our language applications, you can see our conclusions here:
https://notes.kde.org/p/kde-edu-sprint

Some of these should probably become bugs reports and some should drive us
to bigger changes. Please take a look at these and tell us what you think!

Cheers!
Aleix