List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: ArtiKulate in Edu playground
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2013-02-06 20:02:13

написане Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:14:21 +0200, Andreas Cord-Landwehr
<phoenixx@uni-paderborn.de>:

> Hey all,
>
> I would like to give a short heads up for a new language learning (or
> more
> specifically: a pronunciation learning) application, that arrived in the
> KDE Edu playground last night. It's called "ArtiKulate" and aims to help
> for
> the following language learning problem:
>
> When learning a new language, usually the following skills must be
> accomplished: writing, reading, speaking, and understanding. For writing
> and
> reading a lot of materials and software programs (e.g., Parley for
> learning
> vocabulary) exist. But the important field of speaking and correct
> pronunciation of words and sentences is barely considered, yet, though
> it is
> one of the most important skills in real life.
>
> ArtiKulate shall help to tackle this problem down and provide a useful
> application to improve pronunciation skills. It works/will work as
> follows:
> * the user can select a language, a course, and either a topic (like
> sentences
> needed e.g. in a restaurant) or a problematic sound (like e.g. the "th"
> sound
> in English).
> * the user then gets a set of sentences in increasing difficulty (here
> difficulty means the length of the sentences)
> * the user then plays a recording of a native speaker who speaks this
> sentence
> (the recording is shipped with the course) [see below for the problem on
> how
> to get those recording]
> * after this, the user records its own voice when speaking the sentence
> and
> can compare both recordings
> * if the user is not happy with her/his recording, she/he repeats the
> previous
> step
>
> The concept is quite simple and the application is not very hard to write
> (well, the devil lives in the details as I learned again the last nights
> when
> implementing the recording functionality...). What now arrived in
> playground
> is a very basic UI (I plan to make it nice, once the functionality is in
> place), the functionality for the user to select courses, play sentences,
> record sounds (Selection of problematic syllables is current work in
> progress). And the next important step will be the creation of an editor
> for
> the units as well as a merging tool for courses/recordings of different
> users.
>
> The plan for the time after both, the basic functionality is done and
> the UI
> reached a state that I would not be ashamed to show a user, still the
> most
> [...]

Hi,

Many thanks for the new application. It looks like the idea is very good.

However, there is a little problem. There is no i18n( ) markup in QML
files. Is it suppose to be translated?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards,
Yuri