List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: [Kig] Coordinate Precision
From:       Maurizio Paolini <paolini () dmf ! unicatt ! it>
Date:       2011-09-05 8:58:50

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 11:30:32PM -0500, David Narvaez wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> > It is also important to see if the old versions of kig refuse to load the new
> > file format giving a warning. If they do not it would be a good idea to start
> > adding a check to make sure that if in the future the file format is changed
> > old versions will not try to load and silently "succeed" even if they failed
> > in the parsing.

This is the relevant line of a kig save file:
<KigDocument axes="1" grid="1" CompatibilityVersion="0.7.0" Version="1.0">

I remember that addition of the "CompatibilityVersion" tag was added by the
original kig author Dominique Devriese, possibly due to a *big* change in the
kig save format at that time.

Of course what we absolutely need is to allow newer versions of kig to load
(successfully) old saved kig files *and*, as pointed out by Albert, display
error messages if an old kig version fails to load a newer kig save file.

Regarding the first part I would only like to point out that kig might contain legacy
support for objects that can no longer be created but can be present in an old
kig save file.
In other cases (e.g. MeasureTransport) a conversion is performed (with a warning to
the user) at the time of loading a legacy object from an old kig save file.

In theory everything should work fine, but testing of this sort of things is not
easy.

Maurizio Paolini