List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Re: GSoC Proposal: Classroom mode
From:       Ben Crawford <crawford_ben () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2011-02-24 8:17:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Good evening,

As a high school teacher I can say that this would be a very worthwhile feature.

I would like to add my 2 cents to the brain storm.

Features that would be good:
1.  Ability to export the data, say as csv.  All too often we teachers require
such data and having it available in a common format that is easy to manipulate
and upload to other reporting software is a very useful feature.
2.  A common way to assign the tasks within the applications would be
excellent.  Each program has its own features to learn as is, but it would be
great if the UI would be consistent throughout all programs.
3.  The ability to assign tasks that must be completed before students can go on
to other work, for instance a student must attempt 10 words in a particular
khangman category before being able to move on to other categories.

In my opinion this would be implemented as a plugin or module, then individual
programs would be adapted to feed information into this new feature.

Tracking individual students would be a must.  I know at my high school all
students have individual logins.  However, all the local primary schools just
use a generic login for which ever room they happen to be in.  User management
would then perhaps need to be done at some level.  Perhaps even just a popup
asking for a name when a task is completed so the results could be recorded.
This popup could possibly be enabled/disabled when tasks are set, something like
a check box to prompt user for their name or use current logged in user.

Just my thoughts.

Keep up the outstanding work.

Ben