List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Re: GSoC Proposal: Classroom mode
From:       "Laurent G." <lauranger () free ! fr>
Date:       2011-02-17 20:42:14

Le 17/02/2011 20:59, todd rme a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Sebastian Stein <seb_stein@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>

>> I've seen the other Google Summer of Code proposal by Pranav Ravichandran
>> and was wondering if the following idea might be worth investigating:
>>
>> Today, all apps are mostly edutainment, but all of them are missing some
>> kind of classroom mode where a teacher can measure the results of his
>> pupils. I think it would be great if we could come up with a central
>> mechanism to turn all edu apps into classroom ready. It could be some kind
>> of plugin, which teachers can enable. From a GSoC project, I would expect
>> some kind of foundational work like providing a library and outlining
>> guidelines how this lib must be integrated, etc.
>>
>> What's your opinion? Is that something useful or total nonsense?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> What about a general score-keeping mechanism?  This could be used for
> both kde-games and kde-edu applications.  It could have various
> back-ends that link into it, with the teacher mechanism being one (but
> it could also be used for online leaderboards, for instance).
>
> -Todd

Hi,
I think the idea of keeping (and gathering, centralizing) scores is a
good one. I thought about that for KGeography but I never committed
anything about that (and so little at all, sorry).
The one real thing I have to answer to Todd message is that we can leave
kde-games out of scope. In games, you can assign randomness of your
failures to the interesting part of the game ; one can not feel as bad
with it as she would in face of a bad answer in an educative tool : the
one who knows should let the one who does not learn what was wrong and
what it ought to be. This is something different, we don't have to put
this load on games developpers. Because it is heavier to manage.
Regards.
Laurent G.