List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Re: Split out "kvocabedit" from Kanagram?
From:       "Anne-Marie Mahfouf" <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2010-11-27 20:42:57

On vendredi 26 novembre 2010 18:38:47 Gordon Schumacher wrote:
> I need to preface all this by saying that I'm a long-time KDE user and
> Qt developer, but am new to KDE development, so please bear with me :)
>
> So, I'm home-schooling my eight-year-old son, and have been using
> KHangman and Kanagram to do spelling words with him (to great success -
> he's much more willing to do anything that's in the form of a game!)
>
> I was considering the idea of splitting out the vocabulary editor into
> its own application.  First, it took me a fair bit of digging to figure
> out how to do the custom vocabs in the first place.  I found many
> tutorials on how to hand-write a kvtml file, but the format they
> indicated was wrong (perhaps they were for an older version?)  It then
> took me a fair bit to discover that the editor was actually part of
> Kanagram.
>
> I was visualizing something vaguely similar to Qt Linguist, in that you
> could open one or more vocab files, select one or more languages for it,
> and then enter the words and clues.  Again similarly to Linguist, the
> ability to import "foreign" formats would be nice.  (IIRC KHangman can
> already do this, but Kanagram can't - and neither can then save back out
> as kvtml.)
>
> Whether it gets split into its own application or not, it might be
> reasonable to offer the actual functionality as either a library or a
> custom widget; that way it could easily be used either way.
>
> What do you think?
What you outline is that it is not easy nor intuitive to build self-make kvtml
files from KHangMan or even from Kanagram. People do not think about Parley or
KWordQuiz (maybe because the age target is ot the same).
Also I think Parley or KWordQuiz are a bit overkill for simple "word + tip"
files and that Kanagram editor is way better.

So probably we should extract this Kanagram editor and have a File -> Edit
File... menu entry in KHangMan opening this editor. And somewhere in Kanagram
;)

Best regards and it's good that your son have fun with our software!

Anne-Marie