List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Re: New KDE-Edu logo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-30 13:07:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday, September 30, 2010, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > what legal are you looking for?
>
> Trademark probably, not sure what to do in fact. Is the Plasma logo for
> example trademarked or anything else? Or do we only need a free license and
> that's all?

"free license" refers to copyright. trademark is completely different.

and i am not a lawyer. this is not legal advice. etc.

in most countries, there is the concept of "natural trademark" in which you
have a claim to the mark as soon as you start using it. iirc France, Italy and
.. Portugal? are countries that don't have such laws. strangely.

in any case, appying for trademark protection by registering it is a
relatively long and expensive proposition. KDE did it for the KDE logo and
work mark in both Europe and North America because it covers everything we do.
and yes, that means that for full coverage you need to apply regionally, and
yes that means there are areas in the world that "KDE" is not a (R), even if
it is a (tm).

for the KDE Edu logo, i'd personally (as not-a-lawyer) suggest that you
shouldn't bother going through the tasks of registering it as a trademark, and
be satisfied with the trademark protection received from countries that
recognize automatic / natural trademark.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se