List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: URGENT: Rocs inclusion and kdeedu module future
From:       Tomaz Canabrava <tumaix () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-03 18:15:19

I Agree with you Alexi,
I have commented with annma about a kde-scientific specially about the
kids vs grown ups apps,  there are apps that both enjoy, like marble,
but a kid with cantor maybe will get scared running after mom, ( and
cantor is a sweet app, I'm using it atm ). maybe we need to specify
where that program will apply, for instance kbruch is till 4th grade,
and Rocs and Cantor are College ones.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol@kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
> <annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a new program ready for KDE 4.4 in playground/edu, Rocs, a Graph
>> Theory program.
>>
>> Considering it is more specialized than other Edu applications, I asked
>> the
>> release-team about the opportunity of creating a new module: kdescience
>> with Rocs and Cantor (and maybe Kyle). This is accepted as a possibility
>> but
>> there are other options.
>> However soft feature freeze is tomorrow which implies that the decision
>> should
>> be taken today in order to be added to the feature plan.
>>
>> An option would be for KDE-Edu to be in the near future a project like
>> KOffice,
>> slightly detached from KDE main but we could still release at the same
>> dates.
>> This would make us stronger as a branding identity provided we have the
>> resources to make it happen: logo, better website, ... At the moment I am
>> too
>> busy with personal life to take care of it (I am frequently away to see my
>> parents, without internet and without time for KDE, I am sorry I cannot be
>> more present to organize a meeting and boost us). However other people can
>> step in to coordinate this (noneed tobe a developer!)
>>
>> So basically for the 4.4 release, we have several options:
>> - include Rocs in kdeedu module and wait for 4.5 to make changes
>> - create a kdescience module with Rocs and Cantor for 4.4 and see what we
>> want
>> to do for 4.5
>> - make KDE-Edu a specific project which would need some special promotion
>> and
>> teamwork.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Anne-Marie

> I think that drawing a line between kdeedu and kdescience will be extremely
> difficult and kind of disappointing to some users.
> Maybe what would be a better idea would be to separe kdeedu between kids and
> grown up's, in case there is people that doesn't like to have kbruch and
> cantor together, which I understand that makes the "grown up's" applications
> less important and the kid's feel in the wrong place. KDE-Edu is not a bad
> umbrella though, since most science people is actually involved or at least
> conscious of education. And as an example, I guess one of the more common
> use cases for Rocs will be students (I'm sure you can find something
> outside, but still).
>
> As for special promotion and teamwork I think that we will need it we stay
> inside KDE or not, since the targeted users is very specific (teachers and
> late students, maybe parents) which can have different needs than a shiny
> desktop. I understand that if we don't do yet, it's because we don't have
> the resources.

> [...]

Um Computador sem Windows é como um Navio sem dançarinas de Can-Can