List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: kvtml format help appreciated
From:       Christoph Burgmer <christoph.burgmer () stud ! uni-karlsruhe ! de>
Date:       2008-07-02 16:19:17

Hi list,

I'm about to write an export function for Chinese [character] vocabulary. I
would like the user to be able to use KDE-EDU apps as to be flexible and
avoid implementing the same functionality already included in Parley and all
the others.

My problems are: no documentation about the semantics of the kvtml format,
unclear about an improvement of the widely used and unreadable
one-character-tag format (heard something about kvtml2), unclear about other
options in co-operation with other KDE apps.

My app will be written in Python/PyQt. I can use the Chinese-English HSK vocab
set available from the EDU website, but I read something about making the
pronunciation explicit; the HSK vocab gives both as t ("translation"). For
languages using Chinese characters (CJK) it is important to specify the
pronunciation (as Pinyin, Kana, Hangul) explicitly as the learner has to
memorise this equally to the meaning (three-way-relationship: glyph,
pronunciation, meaning), unlike European languages.

Any documentation available for me, anybody willing to give me some hints? Any
help appreciated.

I'm not on the list so please cc me. Thanks.

Chris