List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Individual Apps - Building/Pre-Compiled
From:       Ben Crawford <crawford_ben () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2008-02-26 18:39:29

> From: Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr>
> To: kde-edu@kde.org
> Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:10:33 AM
> Subject: Re: [kde-edu]: Individual Apps - Building/Pre-Compiled

see
how
Google
Scholar
can
replace
them.

> Anne-Marie

Indeed I am talking about individual apps.  If would be difficult to convince my \
colleagues to install hundreds of megabytes worth of all sorts of things for the use \
of a few individual applications.

The windows installer is great and has come a long way since I first looked at it \
some time ago, and is something that I am more than happy to use myself.  However, my \
colleagues would (and have) take one look at it and decide not to use the apps \
instead of learning how to use it and spending lots of time downloading all the \
required files.

Even when I tried to pull all the required files out of the kde install files I found \
that the dependencies went on and on and quickly I had about 150MB worth of files for \
a single app and still needed more.

What I'm looking for is to be able to compile individual apps that are easier to \
distribute - I'm thinking that I would need to include some dll's or compile with \
static links.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I look forward to finding the solution to what \
it is I seek.

Ben

      Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot \
with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today \
or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca