List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: KVTML
From:       Peter Hedlund <peter () peterandlinda ! com>
Date:       2005-07-03 2:42:27

Hi Joshua,

On Saturday 02 July 2005 7:08 pm, Joshua Keel wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I've been developing a KDE Edu app (playground/edu/kanagram) lately
> which uses KVTML. However, I've run into some problems using KVTML. I
> need to develop an editor for it (and I've seen some code which does
> that in KWordQuiz), but this code is not in libkdeedu. Also, my app
> needs descriptions for its vocabulary files. Is there a file
> description tag in KVTML? If so, there's no way to access that data in
> libkdeedu. IMO, there needs to be a way to access such data. I propose
> the following:
>
> 1. Move the KVTMLWriter class from KWordQuiz into libkdeedu
> 2. If there isn't already a way to describe a file, add one to the format
> 3. Add ways to access commonly used data such as a file description in
> libkdeedu 4. Consider renaming the KEduVocData class to KVTMLReader, or
> something more appropriate

What you are asking for is actually somewhat in progress. There is currently
development under way for a kvtml data class. Presently this is done within a
branch of KWordQuiz located in branches/work/kwordquiz. The ambition however
is to move the new classes (KEduVocExpression and KEduVocDocument) to
libkdeedu when they are more mature. They can then be shared among
applications. You are welcome to participate in this work. Current lead
developer for this is Eric Pignet (see CC).

Kvtml supports a remark attribute to the main <kvtml> tag, i.e. <kvtml
remark="This is my file description"> (see the dtd for all possible
attributes). The only editor that supports all the attributes is currently
KVocTrain. See Document Properties under the Vocabulary menu.

HTH,
Peter