List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: AKademy && KDE-Edu
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-08-11 14:36:22

Hi,

As you might know, the KDE conference aKademy is about to start soon (next
week). No Edu developers will be there to represent KDE-Edu.

What will happen in aKademy related to KDE-Edu?
Future of KDE will be talked about in general. So if you have some ideas about
how you see the kdeedu module evolve for KDE 4, it's a good time to speak
about them now. I will convey any idea you have to the right people. Also if
you think about a special functionality that does not exist in KDE yet, it's
a good time to talk about it.

I will have myself (I hope) some IRC meetings with people at aKademy about:
1) docs: how to make nicer docs especially for kids? an idea is also to make
Quick Start docs for each apps, how could we do that? The doc representant at
aKademy is very keen to talk about that.
For KTurtle we also would like an animated tutorial for the kids first steps,
is it possible? How?
2) data: emphasize the data translation importance in apps such as KHangMan,
KLatin, KTurtle and the need for people to help with data for KGeography for
example. It would be good to have an edu-contact in each i18n team. Maybe
have a section about that on i18n website.
Related to that: i18n problems like the division symbol (how do we deal with
that?) Is there any other i18n specific problems?
Check the i18n of the edu apps: some apps are not tranlatable like KLatin
which has strings with several %x in it and prevents good translation.
3) usability: see how to define usability guidelines for edu apps.
4) KnewStuff: another of my goal is to better understand the whole KNewStuff
idea as I still don't get how it works for translations and where (what
server) to put the data.
5) Quality:  if there are people from Quality, make them test the edu apps and
try to find an edu "janitor".

You are invited to add any suggestion about KDE-Edu, the problems you
encounter daily so we can progress.

Thanks in advance for helping having new ideas,

Anne-Marie