List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Re: New Maths App
From:       "Surabaja Johnny" <surabaja () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2004-06-28 7:25:56

on 2004-06-23 Tales Pinheiro de Andrade wrote:

> But this content must stay in the computer or in a server, loaded dinamycly? [...]

I feel that the content should be in the computer when running the app, but it should \
be downloadable from educational "content servers". A menu entry would allow to \
search the server(s). Let's assume that the content is stored in a yum repository. \
The search would result in

yum search: trigonometria, portuguese

or something to that effect. If such object exist a menu entry will allow me to load \
the content (and update it whenever a new version is released):

yum install: trig_elem-por-1.0.0

The object is a collection of files. The course structure (lessons, units, Theory \
page, Teaching Application page...) must somehow be defined. Maybe the grammar for \
describing this data can be defined in XML, as one could do for a \
assembly/subassembly/parts list.

Navigation through the pages, session hold/resume (on multiple courses), \
pupil/tutor's notes on specific page, addition of personal homework pages, study \
plan, progress check, etc... these are all functions that could be handled by the \
application: indeed anything that applies equally well to trigonometry in portuguese, \
or geography in khmer, should be part of the application. The rest is content.

What is in a page? maybe anything (self-contained) that can be displayed in the app's \
3 sections. Anything produced with external tools, as long as it has passed a \
"validity check" included with the application (here one could impose any required \
restriction).

Let's start with a simple example: kids with ADD can be very brilliant, but do need \
visually simple screens. Say that a teacher doesn't find any suitable teaching \
material in spanish. She writes few simple html pages. The app provides a way for \
organizing the pages into Theory pages, Teaching Application pages, units, lessons, \
and creates the XML description. Incidentally, the teacher includes also a single \
good animation taken from trig_elem-por-1.0.0, and a couple of Tools pages for angles \
conversions from the application's math plug-ins list.

Now the content (trig_add-spa-1.0.0) exists and can be used locally. The teacher may \
later on decide to submit the content (excluding the homework and personal notes) to \
a teachers association server, for peer review. It will then be moved to the main \
server and become available to everyone.

Do you think that all this is feasible, or is it too much to ask for? My knowledge of \
the underlying technology is somewhat cursory. Maybe, if we think big and start \
small...

Also, after re-reading Trenton's app broad description, I realize that the described \
approach may be different from what you are envisioning, or maybe not? Reminds me of \
the five blind men and the elephant...

thank you!

Carlo