List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] KMathProf announcement
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2004-02-16 14:05:23

Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr> [040216 14:58]:
> This is a problem, yes. Sebastian, did they tell why the division symbol
> should not be included in KLocale? I'll press the matter further whenever
> possible.

Yes, they said it is too specific and in the end it will bloat KLocale, if
every such a thing is included. Now we have 2 apps with a need for
this, we may have a better chance. Or we include it into libkdeedu.

> I think in the meantime putting a i18n() around it is a very good idea.
> I just checked that in French, the : is used.

In Germany we have :, I think in UK they have /.

Another problem is, that in German pupils write the fraction 10/3 also as:

 1
3-
 3

This, of course, doesn't mean 3*1/3, it means 3+1/3. Nevertheless, this kind
of notation doesn't seem to be known very far. I also got an email by a
Swiss guy, asking me, what it means. So not even German speaking people all
know this notation.

Steinchen
--
KBruch:  application to automatically generate tasks with fractions
Package: KDE Edu in KDE 3.2 (http://edu.kde.org/kbruch/)