List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: FlashKard, KVoctrain, etc
From:       Peter Hedlund <peter () peterandlinda ! com>
Date:       2004-02-07 2:19:26

>1. Ok, What I miss, most of all is that there doesn't seem to be any
>separation between data entry and data maintenance and running the program.

I agree with this to some extent. For kids and lower school grades it's
obviously true that the person making lists and doing the excersices are not
the same. However, for college students and adults I think a single user
usually does both parts. Then it becomes extra work to have to switch
between programs. One way to get around this is to use a plugin system,
something that KDE should be very suitable for. I can see a vocabulary editor
that can then use a flashcard plugin, a plugin that can later be used
separately or even within Konqueror.

>2. Basically, you can do a lot with the flashcard-principle. But it should
>offer a bit more than what you could do with a piece of cardboard. It should

I tried to do away with the flashcard notion in WordQuiz, but people want what
they know. Of course a computer program should be able to handle images and
sound, we'll see when someone finds the time to do it for KDE.

>3. The data-entry system should be multi-levelled. In reality you want to be
>able to make building blocks, that are totally independent of each other and

I think someone started to work on this for KVocTrain, at least being able to
do tests without the possibility to see the source vocabulary.

>4. No reason why  there should  be a simulation of the card flipping
>over...Just the question in a widget (with layout manager) in the top half,

As I said above most people seem to want the analogy of a card they can flip.
Furthermore there must be a way to add more units or remove units no longer
wanted. You can't do away with all menu commands. Personally I like (at least
for older users) to have menu items with keyboard shortcuts instead of
several buttons cluttering the view.

Now a shameless plug for my own work. Have you looked at KWordQuiz at
http://peterandlinda.com/kwordquiz? How would that compare with KVocTrain and
FlashKard for your needs?

>I know these are only some unstructured ideas, but if someone would be
>looking for a new direction for this type of software, I hope that some of
>these ideas get picked up.

I greatly appreciate the input and will take it into consideration.

Thanks,
Peter