List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Help wanted: I fail to build Kig under Debian /
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-12 13:52:03

Joachim Wuttke writes:

>> You want kdelibs-dev, not kdebase-dev Can you try "apt-get install
>> kdelibs4-dev" ?

> Dominique, Jason:

>     this package still causes an enormous overhead (transcript
>     below; kdelibs-dev automatically redirects to kdelibs4-dev)

Hi,

The list you quoted contains only packages that are effectively needed
to use the kdelibs development packages.  Only some of them are
packages that you really don't need if you're only going to compile
Kig.  Also note that the total added disk space is only some 40 MB,
which should be very acceptible on modern systems.

> -
>     there more so, since I have Qt installed locally, since I have
>     no sound card, ...).

I don't see why this is a reason to use a local Qt package.

Anyway, I would suggest using the standard Debian packages anyway,
they have many advantages, including easy to setup, easy to upgrade,
automatic dependency handling etc.

Furthermore, if you remove your locally compiled Qt, and add the
standard Debian packages, you're likely to gain some MB's HD space.

Also note that if you want to use Kig's Python scripting, you'll need
to install Boost.Python.  I've personally tried to install this from
source once, and it's a major PITA.  Using the Debian packages
simplifies this *a lot*.

>    Hence my question: can I get the necessary files directly from
>    the KDE project, preferably as a tar archive, and definitely not
>    as a .deb or .rpm package ? Which files do I need ?

If you still want this, you need to install kdelibs, and all of its
dependencies.  You'll need to install at least half of the
kdelibs4-dev dependencies to be able to compile kdelibs anyway.

cheers
domi