List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] web pages from cell phones
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2003-08-25 17:28:54

Jason Harris <kstars@30doradus.org> [030825 19:20]:
> My friend tried to access the kstars webpage from his cell phone, but got
> only an error message.  Apparently, cell phone browsers expect "WML" which
> I'm told is a subset of HTML.  I was just wondering if it's easy to set up
> the PHP scripts to generate WML instead of HTML, if the client is detected
> to be a cell phone...

WEll, if this isn't a joke, I try to give a good answer. It may be possible
to push the source code through some scripts and generate WML, but for
cellphones are really different requirements. The display is small, you
often have no colors and it is really different to navigate with a cell
phone. It is mostly impossible to enter long search strings.

So converting a homepage to WML always means a complete redesign of the
layout.

Steinchen
--
KBruch:  application to automatically generate tasks with fractions
Package: KDE Edu in KDE 3.2 (http://edu.kde.org/kbruch/)