List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] update on copyright status of catalogs
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2003-07-11 22:47:52

Jason Harris writes:

> Hello, I just heard from Karen O'Flaherty from ESA.  The Hipparcos
> catalog is in the public domain:

> : Hello Jason, : : The Hipparcos data is in the public domain and
> may be used : by anyone. We do request however that use of the
> catalogue data : is acknowledged. Something similar to "This
> application : makes use of the Hipparcos and Tycho catalogues (ESA,
> 1997)" : could be appropriate, and a link to the ESA Hipparcos web
> pages : (http://sci.esa.int/hipparcos) would also be appreciated.  :
> : Can I enquire what you would like to use the catalogue for?  : :
> Regards, : Karen O'Flaherty

> Do you guys still feel that the SAO catalog is not Free enough?  If
> so, I'll look into switching to Hipparcos.

Sorry for replying a bit late, I was on holiday in Berlin ( which was
quite fun, btw ;) )
Anyway, I think that if it's not too much trouble, then it would be
very useful imho to move to the Hipparcos catalog, if only to clear up
the license issues.

I would also suggest to be very upfront about all the licensing issues
in KStars ( the code is GPL, the data is ..., the images are ... ),
perhaps in a file called LICENSE, with information for people and
companies wanting to distribute KStars, so that no further confusion
is possible.

cheers
domi